THE SUN'S shining but the semi-dark cloud hanging over the Hollywood hills is a more of a threat than anything -- put in place, I think, to pacify those who actually enjoy the winter months. I call up my good friend Sem, we both agree the only thing to do on a day like this was to spend it outside as much as possible. We meet for breakfast, and find the best seat in the house, considering it was an LA winter, the balcony. Arriving at 8am we find our perfect outdoor table, making sure to enjoy the cool and energizing mixture of the sun and crisp clean air. After about an hour or so of French music, French atmosphere, and American style French food, Sem and I make our way to the Getty museum. Quick to grab our sunglasses we boarded the tram, which takes us to the mountain top entrance of the museum, and enjoy the progressing aerial panoramic views of Los Angeles on the way up, the sky, so clear, we can see all the way to downtown, to the Marina, and even clearly made out the white LMU letters marking the bluff of Loyola Marymount University.
The Getty is amazing as usual, with its garden-like setting mixing artwork both inside and outside, a setting arguably designed specifically for the Los Angeles area it sits on. Perfect spot for us Angelenos to get our outdoorsy fix amongst the metropolitan region. The Getty landscape is intricately designed and kept and creates a space where you can enjoy the richness of the city as well as the rural agricultural spaces of LA. Yes, it’s man made, but what isn’t in LA?
As breakfast begins o wear-off and the effects of our LA trademark, the sun, began to sink in, Sem and I were ready to eat again. We chose another Angeleno favorite -- also my personal favorite -- a Mexican restaurant. In my opinion, a quesadilla, chips & salsa and a margarita, is the perfect meal to bring any LA day to an end.
Back home I begin reminiscing about my sunny winter Saturday, while watching the treacherous weather reports for the rest of the US. I realize while everyone else was shoveling snow and snarling at their frozen vehicles when they unsuccessfully attempted to start them, Sem and I hid behind our sunglasses, had breakfast and dinner on a balcony, and soaked in the views Los Angeles in all its’ glory. Did we forget it’s February?! Only in LA…

-- Erin Golightly
(photo credit, erin golightly)
No comments:
Post a Comment