Friday, March 19, 2010

Surprise in the Alley

ON A Saturday night, I walked down 2nd Street only focused on getting to Little Tokyo. It was the first time that I had walked around Los Angeles without the protection of my father or my family and I was nervous. But that night I realized that if you’re concerned with only your destination, you fail to appreciate the journey getting there.

Nothing but concrete buildings towered above me with the lights on the top floors dotting the night sky. The breeze shifted my bangs out of place and as I went to shake my head and move them out of my eyesight, the colors pink and yellow flickered in my peripheral vision. To my left was a dark alleyway with one light illuminating a brick wall and just where the light faded and reached its range, a vibrant masterpiece caught my attention.

With the recent talks of graffiti being an art I looked at this differently than when I saw markings on the underpass on a freeway as a child. With a new understanding I was able to see the passion the artist must have had to create this. It's location was even more appreciative because it was in a place where it wasn’t obvious that it was there but hidden enough to be a treasure. Had I not glanced a little to my left I would have continued bee lining down the sidewalk with no disregard. The true colors of Los Angeles jump out at me even more now that I actually take time to try and find them.

-- Antoinette Ochoa

(photo credit: Antoinette Ochoa)

1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate graffiti as an art form. How difficult must it be to work a spray can and under so much pressure from the law? Anywho, I'm just sorry that I have to see 1-800-Get-Silm ads everywhere on my way home, than a decent piece of tag.

    ReplyDelete

writing l.a. . . .

writing l.a. . . .