Monday, April 19, 2010

April Showers Bring LA Flowers


RAIN IN L.A. Every Angeleno's nightmare. It makes us all wonder, how does Nor Cal do it so well? My dad always said that Californian's can't drive in the rain, so be EXTRA careful if you even see a cloud in the sky. We can't even function driving our cars, forget riding bikes, making it to meetings on time, or catching up with that friend for dinner across town. The whole city seems to stop what it's doing on those perfectly gloomy days (except for the traffic, of which there is inevitably more) and go inside for hot tea and a good book.


We like to think of ourselves as the happy people that they make us out to be in the ads sometimes, but when the rain comes, were just as grouchy and blah as everyone else on earth. That's when we realize that it's all to do with the warm glow of our Pacific sun. Its our secret. If I could count every time I have heard a person say that they couldn't live in a rainy place, they would be depressed if they did, Seattle has the highest suicide rate because of the rain or some variation of those, it would probably equal ten times the amount of rainy days I have ever lived through in LA. That's how much we hate it. I mean, personally, I love it. Love the sound it makes against the windows, the way it clears a place out, and the way it makes people pensieve, it forces them to think. And of course, it cleans up that LA skyline! There is nothing like a clear and crisp rainy "day after" to brighten one's spirits. But, of course, I use the collective "we" because, well, Angelenos really don't like the rain.


-- Kimberly Dennis

(photo credit, kimberly dennis)

No comments:

Post a Comment

writing l.a. . . .

writing l.a. . . .